Identity Parade @ Camden Palace Hotel
The Shed’s bassist takes us back through twenty years of his work, with the band in tow.
The Shed bassist and veteran visual artist Serge Vendenberghe has racked up a large and diverse body of work in twenty years of painting, sculpture and fabric work, and his 20th anniversary retro exhibition takes place this Friday at Camden Palace Hotel, Camden Quay.
A veteran political activist, a percussionist, a painter, a set-builder and a staple of one of Cork’s best-loved bands, Vandenberghe has succeeded creatively across genres and forms and continues to impart knowledge today to new students. The best part? Entirely self-taught.
Opens Friday at 7, with The Shed performing. Press release follows.
Visual art exhibition of Cork based Artist Serge Vandenberghe. 20 years retrospective incl. most recent artwork of the Belgian artist. All welcome. Free entry.
Opening 7pm Fri 29th June incl. music performance by Cork band the Shed.
29th June- 20 July
Serge Vandenberghe, French-speaking Belgian by birth, has been living in Ireland since 1992 and is a self-taught artist. He started painting in 1989, after 10 years of political activism in the European peace movement, and hasn’t stopped since, indulging himself in painting, drawing, sculpture, fabric design, etc.
Serge gives silk painting classes to adults and children, and builds sets for the various theatre companies in Cork. Bass player and percussionist, he is member of the band The Shed. Serge never relinquished his first artistic love: writing poetry in his mother tongue.
Serge has exhibited extensively in Cork city and Cork County.
· 2011 Group exhibition, ArtTrail, Cork.
· 2011: Group Show, Solstice, Cork.
· 2010: Group Show The Gallows, sculptures and installations, Cork.
· 2010: Group exhibition, ArtTrail, Cork.
· 2010: Solo exhibition, Outlaw Gallery, Cork.
· 2009: Group exhibition, Art Trail, Cork.
· 2008: Group exhibition, Outlaw artists’ studios, Cork
· 2006: Solo exhibition, Gallery 44, Cork
· 2006: Group exhibition, Triskel Arts Centre, Cork
· 2006: Solo exhibition, Courtyard Gallery, Midleton
· 2005: Group exhibition, Iontas, Sligo Art Gallery
· 2005: Solo exhibition, Courtyard Gallery, Midleton
· 2003: Group exhibition, Art Trail, Cork
· 2003: Group exhibition, Fota House, Co. Cork
· 2003: Solo exhibition, Gallery 44, Cork
· 2003: Group exhibition, Cork City Museum
· 2002: Group exhibition, Art Trail, Cork
· 2001: Group exhibition, Tig Filí, Cork
· 2000: Group exhibition, Courtyard Gallery, Midleton
· 1998: Solo exhibition, Blackcombe Gallery, Cork
Serge sells paintings, hand-made silk cards, silk scarves, etc. at very affordable prices:
For any queries: 086 0569041
Prints of a selection of Serge’s work can be obtained at: http://www.artflakes.com/en/shop/serge-vandenberghe